Friday, March 6, 2009

Keep Your Money Friday

Couponing 101
Recently my boyfriends boss told me that they clip the coupons they want and toss the rest. I was shocked but then on Monday my boyfriend came home with inserts from Sundays paper. They did it again...... clipped out the couple they liked and tossed the others.

Now I don't mind the extra coupons but if you are really trying to save money (which they are) you should really keep the coupons you wouldn't normally use. This is why I'm going to be posting my own Couponing 101 advice for the next couple of weeks to help those who don't know where to start.

Week 1: Top Coupon Mistakes

1. Shopping without a plan. With or without coupons you can save up to 50% of your grocery bill by planning ahead. Most people say it takes too much time to write out a list, plan your meals or clip coupons before you go to the store. It doesn't it takes about 30 minutes to plan a trip to the store. All you need is your local store ad, coupons(if you have them), pen and paper. Scan the ad, jot down what you need for the week that's it painless and simple. I must admit that I sometimes fail to do this myself so I write from experience.

2. Throwing away coupon inserts. The average person clips the coupons they know they are going to use and then throw away the rest. Keep your coupon inserts for future sales that might come up, on items that you might normally buy. Most people figure they can't use the rest of the coupons because they its only $0.40 off or they don't buy that brand. Which brings us to mistake #3.

3. Brand loyalty. When you start using coupons and your are serious about saving money no brand is off limits. The biggest mistake I see is a person doesn't what to leave their normal brand. If you can get an item you would not normally buy for free or cheap you have nothing to loose. For example: Colgate toothpaste is free with a coupon but Crest is $1.50 with a coupon I think(hope) you would just get the Colgate. But if there is a brand you must have, no exceptions, always be on the look out for a sale on that item so you can stock up.

4. Using coupons to soon. This is another costly mistake that some couponers make often. They clip coupons from the insert and then use them within the next week. The best method is to wait for a sale. Most stores have somewhat of a cycle of what items will be on sale. For drug store you can even see their ads weeks ahead of time CVS, WAGS, Rite Aid.

5. Not knowing store policies. Know your stores coupon policy and some times even carry it with you. Ask if your local store doubles or triples and up to how much. Ask if they take competitor coupons, if so which stores. BUT there is on big question you must ask what is your stores policy on printable coupons.

With all that said I think that knowing what not to do with coupons is the best way to start using coupons. If you any questions feel free to email me and I'm open to all tips of the trade. I've been couponing for a while but I'm always trying to learn. For more info on what to and not to do go to couponmom.com.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Great tips!

Mom2fur said...

You're 1000% right, especially number 4! The best way to save money on groceries is to buy something at it's cheapest--preferably with a coupon, too--not when you need it! That way, you build up a good stockpile you can go to. Better to reach for that 99 cent jar of mayo (which you bought on sale with a coupon) than to have to pay $3.99!
I keep my circulars in a binder, each one in a separate plastic sleeve, with dates. I also play "The Grocery Game," which helps for using my coupons in a timely way. Couponmom is a great site, too!

Anonymous said...

Great pointers! Couponing is definately a learning process no matter how long you have done it. I have friends that do the same thing with the inserts because of brand loyalty and some people have a hard time breaking that habit.

 
blog design by Paperback Designs